Saturday 21 February 2009

Boy, that was sheer AGONY!

Don't know what the couple (M/F) downstairs thought when at 12.30 a.m. they must have been woken up by my yelling out in pain. Night cramps - thankfully infrequent, but, hell ,
when it happens one knows it! I always think that the term 'night cramps' doesn't anywhere near convey the totally excrutiating and debilitating torture the condition inflicts. Easily the most extreme pain I ever experience. Those who don't get it have no idea.....Must be what Hell would be like - if there was a Hell. Suffered with it all my life, oddly uniquely in my fairly large family. Thankfully it only happens about 3 or 4 times a year, but last night was the worst for several years as I wasn't able to jump out of bed quick enough to stamp my heel and arrest it. So. limping like an invalid with a fractured femur, heart pounding like a drum and sweating profusely, had to make a painful, shuffling way to the kitchen for a few slurps of water, otherwise felt I'd pass out. Disappointed that before retiring I'd taken a doctor-prescribed Quinine Sulphate tablet which ought to have prevented it happening. However, now I've been up for 4 hours and there's only slight residual pain remaining. Ready to face the day with a not-totally-forced smile on my salt-and-pepper bearded face.

3 comments:

  1. where is the cramp pain? I get charlie horses in my calves in the middle of my sleep and they are insanely painful...these sound worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are indeed in the calves - I've never heard the term 'charlie horses' so perhaps they are the same - but for me I just can't imagine there being a worse pain in existence.
    Can be so bad that if there were means ready at hand to permanently release myself from it...... But let's not go there. If this IS the same as you experience, although I feel deeply for your own agonies I take a weird comfort in knowing that someone else knows exactly what I sometimes go through. And by the way, pal, since posting my own comment on your blog of yesterday I've read some of your earlier blogs and I realise what a hellish rollercoaster of a life you're on. Sounds like a hideous trial sometimes - and I'm sorry if I only so your 'clowny' side without looking deeper.
    Warm hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shit! Penultimate line - 'so' should read 'saw'.

    ReplyDelete