Wednesday 3 February 2010

Tony Blair's wife, as judge - spares man prison because he is 'religious'!!

I'm seething inside. News just out that Cherie Booth, Roman Catholic wife of Tony Blair (who has himself now converted), acting in her capacity as judge, has told a man who broke another man's jaw during an altercation in a queue, that she would not be sending him to prison because he is 'religious' (he had just visited a mosque) and that being so, he knows that such behaviour is unacceptable. Great - So that's all right then! The National Secular Society is quite rightly filing a complaint against her on grounds of her practicing discrimination. Can only hope she gets rebuked, but in this land where religion, most religions, still calls the shots, I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

  1. You're right. It's one thing to give him a suspended sentence due to the fact he's a first time offender (I researched the story on the web), but to specify in court that her rationale for leniency was that he was religious is plain wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, the logical extension of her argument is that non-religious people just don't know the difference between right and wrong. I don't mind being lectured to with reason, but I DO mind religion being held up as a shining example of morality. I'm sure I am (and you too are from what I know about you) more morally upstanding than many religious organisations. But then I suppose the latter would maintain that being gay trumps any positive qualities one otherwise possesses - QED! Bah, humbug!

    ReplyDelete