Monday 16 July 2012

Recent film release: 'Magic Mike'

Feel very ambiguous about this film. Truth to tell, I suppose I only give it the benefit of the doubt because it's a Soderbergh film, whose previous efforts I've usually liked, or even liked a lot - otherwise I might have branded this one as 'DISlikeable'.
Revolving around a male-stripper (for women) group which takes on a new....erm.... member, the latter starting out as a reluctant participant, though soon finding his stride, and thus (predictably) shifting the group's own internal dynamics - and all presided over by the surprisingly impressive Matthew McConaughey, strutting about like a know-it-all peacock.
Several of the group's striptease acts are shown, all skilfully choreographed - and with them having bodies to die for - though I must mention that in none are their pouches/thongs finally removed. Even aside from that they are not exactly The Village People, being aggressively hetero, though the unacknowledged hint of homo-eroticism wouldn't escape most people.
  I found the film largely a vacuous experience while watching it, not being able to sympathise with any of the characters - and yet, this morning after, certain scenes are still buzzing around the brain. Perhaps I'll have to wait for the memory to settle down.
                In the meantime, reflecting my ambivalent feelings, I award it a score of - 5/10.


6 comments:

  1. I was all excited when I heard that this film was being made and especially with that cast. After a few months, the excitement has worn off. From what I have read, and I may be wrong, I have the feeling that the reason this is so mainstream is that all is done for the enjoyment of women. How novel it would have been if all the action took place in a gay club. I guess that if that were the case, in today's culture, the movie would be in limited release and do poorly at the box office. Think I'll wait until the DVD -Blue-ray, of course- is released. My main reason to see this - Matt Bomer - who cameout several months ago. Am curious: What is your opinion of Matt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt WHO, Paul? Sorry, but it's clear I'm being left behind. Okay, I've just looked him up, and though I can see why he's considered hot he doesn't do TOO much for me personally - though certainly more than enough not to want to kick him out of bed. (Dream on, Ray!)

      Yes, the same scenario in a gay club would have a very limited market but be much more interesting - all that scratch-yer-eyes-out rivalry and bitching. Just the thought of it amuses me - and I'm sure there would have been even more hot bodies to ogle lustily after.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen it. But at least the cutie/stripper/cast member Matt Bomer is openly gay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I'd better see it again, Mitch - though wait for it to come on TV - and pay more attention to the Bomer next time.

      Delete
  3. Just having a catch up of your blog... I've seent his advertised on the sides of buses (rarely a good sign unless the film is a Mega-blockbuster) and can't really see the appeal! Ho-hum, each to their own, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's being sold as a sort of 'lasses-out-on-a-hen-night' film, but if that's the case it doesn't really work, as there's so much serious background clutter to it. 'The Full Monty' was funnier, more entertaining and a clearer arc of development, even though that too had serious social background.

      Delete