Monday 22 October 2012

New film: 'ON THE ROAD'

For the most part I didn't find this very engaging. I haven't read the novel but the film was pretty much what I expected - marijuana/alcohol-induced hedonism with occasional excursions into polysexuality, constantly driving above the speed limit, and the usual 'what-a-lark!' adventures of stealing from stores. The men never really argue among themselves, unlike the women who, after being 'used' tend to be cast off with little ceremony.
    Although I did feel like nodding off now and again,  there were a few moments where it livened up, though it sometimes had nothing to do with the film - as in the brief appearances of Viggo Mortensen and the even more fleeting Steve Buscemi.
    I missed being a contemporary of the 'beat generation' by about 15 years, but even if I had been I would never have got onto that particular wavelength. It was probably being well into my 30s when I even first registered the name of Jack Kerouac. Even now it all seems a bit alien to me. Perhaps others who were rather more rebellious in their own young adulthood can identify more with the characters portrayed here, and hence appreciate the film more.

As it is, 'On the Road' gets from me a turned-down thumb score of..................4/10
  

8 comments:

  1. oh dear
    I already has been shown at our art house cinema and I missed it...
    thank the lord

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't fret about missing it, J.G. UNLESS you're an advocate of Kerouac, his life and times, in which case it might be interesting to compare this with the book, which is yet another one often described as 'unfilmable'.

      Delete
  2. I shall pass on this one, thankyou !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just wasn't 'special' enough, Dr Spo - and it's already fading from my memory.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for this. I might have been sucked into seeing it, and since we see so few films right now I'd rather not waste my time on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I rather think that might be wise, Mitch. It was all very 'so what?'

      Delete
  4. Only a 4, hmmmm I think its worthy of a 5 at least, it is distinctly so so......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you've actually SEEN it, Jase? (Wish I'd read this before I responded to your comment on my 'Skyfall' post.)
      Yes, I hold to my very personal '4', but largely due to my life having been completely out of sync with these characters. From what I know about you you may well sympathise more with a freewheeling, independent lifestyle - I make no further comparison, because I just don't know. But anyway, you were clearly not entranced by the film either.

      Delete