Thursday 6 December 2012

Why me? Why now? - a wallet double-whammy!

What have I done to deserve this?
Just a few weeks after having major computer problems here they are again - I can only load this posting slowly and trust to luck that it'll appear correctly.

But not only that, last night my TV went dead - as in 'doornail' - and it remains so this morning.
Of course both problems can be remedied - but they need an input of dosh, something I'm very far from being flushed with right now.

So, re the first one, if I  unaccountably 'disappear' from blogland for a few days you'll know the reason.
I'm still going to try to see a planned film this morning. If I don't go, as it's a one-off showing it's going to be missed forever. Can only keep my fingers crossed that on return I'll be able to post a review.

In addition, next week, a further two art-house cinema screens open in nearby Brighton, giving cause for concern that even if enough money was availble to see all that I want to see (which is extremely doubtful in any case) I'll be spending more time in the cinema than at home, thereby neglecting my pussies. (There was even a new pussy - number five! - at the window this frosty morning). Oh, will these problems never cease?
But at least this computer is still just about working, I think. Definitely going to have to get something done about the telly. Being a news-junkie if I don't hear and see what's going on in the world, gonna go bonkers!
Come on, you lottery - Look this way!

10 comments:

  1. One good thing did happen - your posting did appear correctly. At least, if you do disappear for awhile, your readers will know the reason why. Hope that your problems will be solved quickly and those things that keep you going and add enjoyment to your life will continue. Don't know what film you are seeeing this morning, but I am FINALLY seeing "Anna Karenina" this afternoon - can't wait.

    Pussy No. Five! What can you do? I'd do the same thing and give him some warmth and some food. Just can't let them go cold and hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I really am VERY keen to know what you're going to say about 'Anna'. I've started preparing my Top 10 of the year, and it's so high that there's no way this film is going to drop out. Do let me know your verdict either on this blog or under the one I'm about to post.

      Computer's looking good as at right now. I was setting up a new hub and couldn't get it to work properly up to this morning, thinking it would be another case of calling in the experts. But going through instructions again just now I tried something and - hey presto! It's functioning as I'd hoped. But I must stress that it's only literally in the last quarter of an hour that I did what I did, so anything may still happen. Not breathing easy yet.

      I've been locking all four pussies indoors on the recent frosty nights so the heating could be left on low - and so far they've been good as gold, as well as being patient for me to get up and let them out.
      There's my two 'official' ones, Blackso and Noodles - now plus Ginger who does not appear to have any other home to feed and shelter him - plus, now, Patchy, the adult 'community cat' who's seen all over this area but now is aware that I'm too much of a softy to refuse him food and warmth when he wants it. At least in his case I know who his real owners are and they've said to let them know if he gets to be too much of a nuisance, which, of course, no cats ever are. (Just like you feel, in effect.) Damned expensive though!
      The 'new' one (another adult) whom I've actually seen roaming around before, is nearly all white, so I've already christened him/her 'Snowy'. He was too mistrustful of me actually to come in this morning but he did eat a bit on the window sill. Must take some new photos of ALL the gang sometime and post them here. Snowy will be back for sure!

      Delete
  2. BAD LUCK COMES IN THREE!
    oh.....what a bugger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that 'reassurance', J.G. Have you any lucky shamrock to spare? (No bunny rabbit's foot, PLEASE!) ;-)

      Delete
  3. I won't buy the winning lottery ticket this week and will leave it for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe, Mitch, that only yesterday in England an UNCLAIMED prize on the Euro lottery of over £60 million ($100 mill +) was put into good causes as it had not been claimed within the statutory 6 months? That simply would NEVER have happened IF ONLY (yeah, right!) I had had the winning ticket. In fact I'd have been onto Lottery H.Q. before I'd taken my very next breath after finding out. Maybe next time, eh?

      Delete
  4. I think a TV dead as a doornail sounds like a blessing from heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right up to a point, Dr Spo. If I hadn't been so willing when I was 10 or 11 to be 'corrupted' by TV's insistence and omnipresence I'd still prefer to be without one. Even now in a choice between being without a radio or TV it would be choosing to go TV-less by a very long way.

      Delete
  5. Ray, well this isn't good at all. I could do without TV, but I'd go into a fit without my computer. Hopefully, it is either something you can take care of or something that doesn't cost too much to fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to see, Kyle. I'm now worried that my increasing use of the computer may bring forward its inevitable eventual breakdown - and, like you, if that happens I'll feel really cut off. It's already slow and shaky. It is, after all, now over 6 years old.

      But this would be my first TV-less Xmas since 1976 - unless I just go for it and worry about the money afterwards, which I'm increasingly tempted to do.

      Thanks very much for your much appreciated sympathy.

      Delete