Thursday 20 February 2014

Film: 'HER'

Sorry, but this is going to be yet another review lacking in significant praise. However, those who don't share my hard-wired resistance to overplayed sentiment will, I think, find an adequate quota of satisfactions in this film.

Spike Jonze (he who gave us the dazzling 'Being John Malkovich') comes up with this superficially whimsical tale set in a near-future world, where the fashion is for high waists and where everyone walks around speaking into their invisible contraptions in a way which would have been considered as looking demented until fairly recently. It centres on an unassuming, recently split-up, professional letter-writer (for those who are too busy or unwilling to write for themselves) who goes in for a new computer system with interactive voice and independent super-intelligence and functionality. Having at the outset opted to have a female voice speaking to him he gradually finds himself being attracted by its personality, playful conversation and scarily realistic emotional range, as well as being drawn in by its/her curiosity about his own romantic situation (or lack of) and her eagerness to help him in this direction. It's not long before he realises that he's falling in love with this disembodied artificial voice, provided by Scarlett Johansson.
Incidentally, I hear that as the film was being shot the voice being used was that of the marvellous Samantha Morton, who was actually present on set, though off-camera, of course. So Joaquin Phoenix (in as down-played a role as he's ever done), looking near-unrecognisable, 'tached-up' and bespectacled, was actually reacting to Morton's promptings. For some reason, later on in production, Morton's voice was replaced with Johannson's. Although the words are undoubtedly the same I'm sure there must have been some variations in intonations. Changing the stress of one single word can alter the entire meaning of a sentence. However, I didn't myself notice any glaring mismatches between the two sides of the conversations, though I do regret S.M. being jettisoned, for whatever reason.

There are a few comedic touches, though not as many as one would have thought, despite the set-up lending itself to that potential. For me the film's fatal flaw was its easy descent into sentimental mush. The film had a good basic idea but took the route of accenting the romance going on between Phoenix and the voice - as well as that between him and others (I'm saying nothing more!) - and it becomes a romantic-comedy without laughs, or not that many. Added to which, it's a full two hours plus!  Strewth! A crisp 80 minutes, playing on the zanier possibilities of the tale, would have been so much more effective and memorable. But instead it aims to get you reaching for the hankies.

Joaquin Phoenix is perfection itself. I didn't know that he was capable of playing in the modest style that this role calls for. Just as good is Amy Adams as his faithful, understanding friend. Rooney Mara as his soon-to-be ex-wife also impresses.

It's not the film I would like to have seen. In defiance of some reviews I've read I do think that Jonze has miscalculated, but maybe that was only in pleasing me. Perhaps he really did achieve the film for which he was aiming. Anyway, despite my disappointment, in recognition of very high-quality acting all round, I'm going to be generous and award this film a......................5/10.

8 comments:

  1. "A romantic comedy without laughs." My friend, that's the funniest line in the film or your review. Made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's the way I saw it, though maybe the fault was in the 'eye of the beholder'.

      Delete
  2. hmm now the quandary. my friend liked this. and said 7. maybe I will wait and get the DVD from love film....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think you ought to see it in the cinema, Sol. As so often with me, expectations didn't come up to reality. I was counting on something light and frothy to sit back and watch with a smile on my face, not a film that turned out to be needlessly weighty and stodgy. If you go without any preconceptions I think you really might like it as much as your friend. And even if you do find it sentimental I think you've indicated sometime in the recent past that being such doesn't turn you off. So on that basis I'd recommend it to you even more.

      Delete
  3. Hello Ray,

    Although we have not heard of this film or indeed several of the others which you have reviewed recently, this does not sound as if it would be one for us. Well, one might ask, who is the film intended to delight?

    Of late we have been returning to the icons of the silver screen......'Dead Poets Society', 'Chariots of Fire', 'Capote' and 'Don't Look Now' to name just a few. Perhaps it is us but we find the contemporary cinema offerings a little lack lustre of late.

    Thank you for your kind words of welcome on our return to the Blogosphere. We have missed blogging and are glad to be back.

    Hoping that you are well. We shall be in Brighton soon to inspect the awful weather for ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, J & L. On this particular film I think that once again I'm rather out on a limb in my un-enthusiasm. It happens increasingly these days and I think a lot of it is a generation thing. For instance, when one has seen a lot more films than most people I think one is more conscious of cliches of which younger people might be less aware. But on the other hand I'm lost when it comes to things like current technology, which is conspicuous in this film (this from someone who still uses a Walkman - and has never worked out how to use an MP3 player, although I've had one for years.) So I think 'Her' is primarily aimed at a very contemporary audience, to which I do not belong.

      I agree that once a 'classic' always a classic, even if features like the special effects of the past look distinctly ropey when compared to today's CGI miracles. A well-constructed film shows itself as such, but that requirement so often seems secondary to the need these days to impress its audience visually.

      Yes, good to have you back - even if you've pricked my balloon of anticipation a little in seeing 'Grand Hotel Budapest'.(Filmed in Germany, you say? Oh dear!)

      Yes, I and my pussies are all well, thanks. Grateful that despite the appalling weather we, in Worthing have experienced a quite mild Winter. For me I'd far sooner have deluges of (non-flooding) rain than deep snow anytime.

      Looking forward to hearing about your sojourn in B'ton - perhaps even with some pics.

      Delete
  4. This truly disappoints. I am not really a fan of Mr. Phoenix but this sounded interesting. I will also confess my interest may be influence by my having a bit of a crush on the director. Oh well...I can still dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that most would disagree with my assessment, H.K., so that could well include you. It might have been my mistake to have made such erroneous assumptions in the first place. But if you like sentiment in bucketloads, this probably IS for you.

      I can't place Mr Jonze's looks in my mind's eye right now, but in view of what you say I'm now going to have a peek.

      Delete