Wednesday 23 April 2014

Film: 'LOCKE'

This is really good! As it's been getting some mixed reviews here I went with an open mind - and was pretty nearly bowled over.
There's only the one on-screen character and soon after the start he is driving for the entire time in this admirably concise 85 min film. Some have said that it wasn't as involving as it ought to have been, though I was totally engrossed.

In this film by director/writer Steven Knight (previous writing includes the high standard 'Dirty Pretty Things') the ever-dependable Tom Hardy is construction manager Ivan Locke travelling from his workplace in Birmingham to London in order to be with a woman at a crisis and to whom he feels he owes his presence, this despite the fact that he's needed at work in a few hours where there's to be an epic-scale, multi-lorry delivery of cement mix and where his attendance is absolutely crucial. Added to this, his wife and two sons are eagerly expecting him home, particularly this evening. The film shows his juggling with these three allegiances through a hands-free phone and trying, with great difficulty, to smooth the reactions of utter disbelief and horror from his work colleagues and wife when he reveals that he won't be with them. All the attention is on the behind-the wheel Locke and his mental struggles and frustration, while the woman in London (of whom his wife did not know anything) also keeps ringing him to plead his attendance. It's gripping drama. I didn't look at my watch once.

I've just two cavils about this film, neither of them too serious. The first is that his occasional talking to an invisible and silent hallucinatory figure of his late father sitting in a back seat of the car doesn't quite work as well as the phone calls, perhaps because he's essentially talking to himself, whereas on the phone it's obviously all dialogues. But these occasions aren't many and none of them are extended. And they do give a kind of context to the situation he finds himself in.
Then also, I'm not quite sure why it was decided to make the film in widescreen. I think a screen of regular, 'normal' ratio might have worked better, highlighting the claustrophobic aspect of being in the enclosed and inescapable space of a car the whole time. (There are just occasional glimpses of other motorway traffic).

I might add that by the end of the film not all threads have been tied up. The film takes place, more or less, in 'real time' or near enough - and anyway, life is never such that clear-cut endings all occur simultaneously.

 All in all a fine, satisfying achievement...................8

22 comments:

  1. I am eager to see this. I was delighted to read that it is being released in the US in a timely manner - opens April 25. It has received very good advanced reviews. Hardy's career is really taking off.. Read that he has signed to play Elton John in "Rocketman.".

    Interest fact about "Locke." The director confessed that they shot the complete film on every take and consequently were left with 16 movies to edit, before arriving at the final product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news, Paul. I wasn't sure if it would get an American release at all. It well deserves one. Good also that early word over there is positive.
      Didn't know they made 16 films of it. In fact it flows along so seamlessly it looks like it was all shot for the first time. The 'joins' certainly don't show. -so that alone deserves praise.

      Also didn't know about T.H. playing Eltie - in fact wasn't even aware that there was a film in the offing. Should be interesting though I can't see it being as attention-holding as the Liberace film was. Apart from his marriage to a female and his playing Sun City + his dope taking and buying clothes and flowers can't see that there's that much more to say - unless there's something we don't know. I'll still see it, though.

      Delete
  2. Like paul, I can't wait for this one, although bugger knows just when it will get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was showing at one of Brighton's 'art-house' cinemas, J.G., so that's where to look out for it. But I believe it's getting good box office takings so it might yet receive the wider distribution it merits. In any case, as you might guess, I think it's one of those films it's worth going out of one's way to catch.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately I am not sure this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough, Sol. It could be that some of the subjects covered are too near to home for some people and others just don't want to get upset. But for anyone who is up for it it's an object lesson on how to create true suspense with minimum casting.

      Delete
  4. And another... Thanks again for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My pleasure, Mitch. This has been steadily gathering plaudits and, though I thought it might have been a particularly insular kind of British film it could well be seen in cinemas widely, including in Espana. The subject matter works in any language, of course..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ray, You need to delete the Boris In Ayrshire link on your page. Clicked on it and got quite a surprise and not a nice surprise at all.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered what was happening myself, Paul, but last Friday, I think, and immediately deleted it. You are right - it was most UNpleasant. It then stopped being shown any more on my blogs at this end. I only hope it's not still showing on my blog-list when others log on to me. If it is can you let me know, please? - though if so I'm not sure how to get it out when it's not on my own blog. But thanks anyway.

      Delete
    2. Paul - I think I see what's happened. Should be okay now, touch wood.

      Delete
    3. Your blog list looks good now. As I mentioned, it was quite a surprise to see THAT. I used to enjoy reading the original blog, written to show the writer's love for his dog. Hope he never saw how this group took over the name.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I miss Boris' master's blog too. I do hope he comes back and will be surprised if he doesn't.
      It's worrying how that odd and most undesired blog came through using Boris' defunct address. Just goes to show how we have to keep on top of our own blog details. Only hope that it hasn't found others who were as lazy as I was.

      Delete
  7. Ray,
    Have you seen the film "Hereafter" directed by Clint Eastwood?
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't see it, Ron, and am not sure now whether it was because it got indifferent reviews or it didn't get a wide general release here. I don't remember the latter but I think I do recall it coming out and not being favourably thought of. I take it you've seen it and liked it - otherwise, I suppose, you wouldn't have asked?

      Delete
    2. Ray,
      Yes, I saw it last week and it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Last night I tried to watch "World War Z". Couldn't get through more than five minutes of it. It was silly. Then I tried to watch "Elysium." More silliness again plus the focus on the kids who I can't understand when they talk. Who makes these movies anyway? Who do they make them for? "Hereafter" had some kids (twin brothers) in it but they characters were an important part of the storyline. So rare to see a good movie.
      Ron

      Delete
    3. Wow! High praise indeed (for 'Locke'), Ron. I hope it gets wider distribution here. It's not been taken up by the British multiplexes but, as you'd agree, it deserves a big audience and earns it handsomely.

      I actually thought 'World War Z' not too bad - I rated it a 6 but it did require some mental effort to give one a bit of satisfaction.

      Never saw 'Elysium'. There are a few films with that name on IMDb but I guess you're referring to the most recent one. Mumbling in films of players of any age I get increasingly maddened at. It's just so damn lazy. I'm sure it's not all down to deteriorating hearing as it's only in the cinema where I have the problem.
      But you are right - a really good film is such a rarity and one longs for more 'Locke's to come around.

      Delete
    4. Ray,
      I have a hard time getting by Brad Pitt and his "family." It was so obvious at the beginning of "World War Z" that he was the At Home Dad and the oh so loving kiddies. That may appeal to some but not to me. Ever since I saw Pitt interviewed many years ago, I've always considered him to be a self-absorbed colossal bore. I just can't get past him and his off screen personality.
      Ron

      Delete
    5. I've never seen him interviewed, Ron. Maybe I'd agree with you if I had. But I do find him quite a sexy hunk (unusual for me is that he's not often hairy-faced). But I do agree that the 'Brangelina' stunt is getting just TOO much even for me when it appears on the news.

      Delete
    6. Oh, and btw, Ron - I saw 'WWZ' in 3D. Don't know if you did too but my opinion might have been influenced by seeing it in that format.

      Delete
  8. I'm just catching up on films I've seen recently that you will have reviewed (I don't read reviews if I can help it, until having seen the film)...

    I found this movie to be interesting, well acted and original. If you'd told me that the only character was one man (and maybe the car!) I would have doubted that it could work.

    I enjoyed it, though I wondered whether some of the technical building stuff was correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you liked this too, Stephen. It's one that has lingered in my mind so was a bit afraid that my review may not have done it justice, but it does.
      It's gripping for reasons other than that of just being unusual. Well acted, as you say, and holding the attention with ease.
      I don't recall much about the technical building aspects, maybe because I was absorbed entirely by the situation he was in.
      Pretty sure that it's going to feature in my Top 10 of the year, pushing out at least one of the more obvious contenders.

      Delete