Monday 21 July 2014

Film: 'ARTHUR & MIKE' (aka 'ARTHUR NEWMAN')

This is an oddity - which makes it sound more interesting than it was.
The film is actually two years old and has probably been languishing on a shelf, gathering dust, before being transferred to DVD. It only came here for a one-off, morning screening and, notwithstanding the omens (and indifferent reviews), it looked okay enough on paper for me to toddle along. Bad decision.

Colin Firth and Emily Blunt (latter as 'Michaela' or 'Mike') play American. Is there nothing the man Firth cannot do - apart from giving us all a break? (At least six more films from him in the offing, including the new Woody Allen. Oh, saints preserve us, please!) Anyway, this time he plays an identity-switching former golf-pro who fakes his own death by drowning in order to escape his ex-wife (with resentful son, annoyed at his dad's greater interest in golf than in himself). His ex is played by Anne (closet gay or closet straight? Take your choice) Heche, though with nose that's definitely straight, who doesn't seem terribly cut up about his vanishing act. However, Firth (no fool he!) 'disappears' with a bagful of $29,000 in low denomination notes.Very soon circumstances throw him and self-pitying, whingeing Emily Blunt together who, by one of those coincidences that only happen in film, find that not only do they both have assumed identities but they also share a penchant for travelling hither and thither, breaking into strangers' homes (after checking on their times of absence) and availing themselves of the 'facilities'. (Oh, what merry japes they get up to! Laugh? I could hardly contain my ennui!) An engaging couple in the style of Bonnie and Clyde they are not! I found them off-puttingly exasperating from the start. The prevailing mood engendered in yours truly was one of wanting them to be nabbed, caught in flagrante delicto, which they actually are (literally) at one point - but, maddeningly, they always manage to scarper before being caught.

I couldn't relate to this film one bit. If it had tried to pass itself off as something a bit zany in the style of those tongue-in-cheek crime capers of the 60s and 70s it might have worked. If that was indeed the mood it was aiming at, I can only think that it misfired badly.
This is director Dante Arola's first feature film, so I suppose by starting on such a 'downer' he ought only to get better - though after this I shan't be rushing to find out his next project..............................3/10.


10 comments:

  1. Ray, it has been transferred to DVD and available for anyone who wants to rent it for $3.99.

    Ok, I love Colin Firth, but after watching the trailer and reading your review, it's a thumbs down. Reinventing himself and calling himself Arthur Newman - get it 'new man" -had successfully been done on the popular daytime drama, "The Young & The Restless" by Victor Newman.(note the similarity of the first name) over 25 years ago. Makes you wonder where the author got his inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $3.99 sounds about the right price, Paul - and watching it at home one can ease its passage into the brain with the help of some appropriate liquid refreshment.
      Must admit the use of the name 'Newman' hadn't occurred to me. I reckon that I'd quickly got to the couldn't-care-less stage.

      Btw: I see that there's a new film of Alan Turing to be released, 'The Imitation Game', selected to open the London Film Festival in whenever, with Benedict Cumbersomename as Turing as well as a British cast to die for (if you'll excuse the poorly chosen expression). Sounds most interesting. My eyes are peeled.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info on "The Imitation Game." I watched the trailer on YouTube and I agree, it is a cast "to die for." Keira Knightley and the dashing Matthew Goode - can't wait.

      Btw, I watched "Breaking - -" on YouTube and I still don't know if I liked Jacobi's interpretation of the role. It will be interesting to make a comparison with Dold, who is taking on the role and who has impressive B'way credentials.

      Anyway, glad to see that Turing is finally receiving recognition and credit.

      Delete
    3. I've now seen the trailer of 'Game' too, Paul, and it does look promising - though for me Benny C. is in danger of becoming as dangerously ubiquitous as....well, as one Mr Firth. But let's not be down on him and the film before we've even seen it. And with K.K. there as well, what can possibly go wrong? ;-)

      I've never been a great fan of Jacobi whom I've always found a bit too 'buttoned -up'. I keep wanting to shout "just let your hair down, man and LET GO!".
      I first saw him at the Edinburgh Festival in 1977 in 'Antony & Cleo' where he was a very staid Octavius Caesar. Even then everyone knew that he was probably gay (he was then parading around with his boyfriend of the time) though he's never been completely 'out', leaving all the dirty work to Sir Ian. But he only started taking 'risks' in his acting when he was well into middle-age. I'd agree that in 'Code' he was not the most ideal person for the part, both on stage and later on TV.
      I'd never heard of Mark H.Dold but, having now googled him, he does look and sound like a good choice for Turing. I'm sure you'll let me know if it came up to expectations.

      Just today, as Parliament adjourns for the Summer recess, comes news that our government has rejected calls to grant Royal pardons (a la Turing) to ALL men convicted of 'gay offences' here between the end of the 19th century and 1967, when it was partially de-crminialised. I can see the argument that if it were to happen where does it stop? - pardons for ALL breakers of laws subsequently repealed? But at least a general recognition of regret might have gone some way to acknowledging the many lives ruined, and sometimes worse. (I think there was a total of something like 75,000 involved). But, yes, Alan Turing would surely be feeling some satisfaction at the way times have moved on for the better.

      Delete
  2. oh heck only 3 with the lovely colin? 2 should jst come from eye candy. and isn't he a vegetarian? another half point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, Sol, I do actually find Colin Firth a tolerable presence on screen. However, in latter years he really must have been desperate for dosh as he seems to be in every second film. His acting is fine though I do tend to find his distinctive, square-jawed physicality renders him less visibly versatile than he inwardly capable of.
      I didn't know whether or not he was veggie, but if so it would be nice for our 'clan' to have another big-name to include. There aren't that many of us even now.
      But please, C.F. - do take a Sabbatical. It would do us ALL a world of good.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, I will know to avoid that one. Sounds of no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit of a clunker, F.B., although it must be said that I'm well outside the target age-range. However, on IMDb site the average rating is not much over 5/10 so unless one is an incorrigible fan of the two main stars it might be just as well not to waste your time on this one.

      Delete
  4. Thank you Ray for the warning. Even though this film has two excellent actors, I shan't be putting it in my Netflx DVD queu.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have worked as a 'quirky' offering, Ron, in the style of the Coen Bros, but it missed that target by more than a mile - if that was what we were supposed to take it as. Thumbs down, I'm afraid.

      Delete