Saturday 2 August 2014

Brighton Pride Parade

 First time I'd been to the annual Pride parade, this country's largest outside London, for about 5 years. Since a few years ago, this is now the only part of the day's events 'open' to the public - the post-parade events, including music acts and refreshment marquees, entertainments and fairground rides, are now only admitted with ticket, the on-the-day price being £25 (about $42 Am), being beyond my own means. But the parade itself is well worth seeing - modest in comparison with those of bigger cities worldwide (no huge floats), but no less replete with big heart and sense of fun and humour, and noisy as one could wish - or wish not, as the case may be. Here's a flavour:-

Because of traffic diversions due to the event I only arrived after the parade had started moving, so missed the first features. I'm here approaching one of the turns on its route, with the yellowish building on the left, being the 8-screen Odeon, the cinema where I do much of my mainstream (non-art-house) film watching.



The 'Bee Gees' trailer:-

A certain other group, blasting out.....well, what d'you think?.....as sung by the local Gay Men's Choir


The 'Section of Shame:-
Placards announcing names of countries which criminalise gay relationships and activity as well as its 'promotion'.
Following it one entire section was devoted to Uganda, which got a huge cheer, especially one guy carrying a notice announcing that he was proud to be Ugandan and gay. I really wanted to cry - and to go out and hug him.
Above, this float filmed the onlooking crowd as it slowly drove past, projecting them onto its screen. I'd hoped to photograph myself but didn't time it right.

The end of the 'bears' section - standing behind the half-clad big-bellied chap wearing a bulls head is another guy in black rubber suit with dog-head mask being led on a lead attached to his collar by another leather guy. (Ah, the memories!) Wish I'd got a close-up of these, but there's bound to be some when the official photos are published. 


Above, 'angel guy' on float- a bit distant, I'm afraid.







And finally, bringing up the rear, we all like to see policemen efficiently mounted, don't we?




Pity I don't have a more versatile camera. I took a lot more than what I've posted here but these should give you some idea. Till maybe 2015, then.

18 comments:

  1. looks like fun. but the ABBA float...(runs away screaming).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, i know.. WAS going to put in my blog "A.M.'s favourite group", but just as well that I didn't.

      Delete
    2. AM, ABBA is not going to hurt you....

      Delete
    3. I think A.M. may beg to differ, F.B., but let her speak for herself, 'cos I can't understand her aversion to the second-greatest group EVER!

      Delete
  2. I very much enjoy your movie reviews, but I love to hear more about your daily-doings like these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I wrote more on subjects other than films the boredom factor would soon come into play, Dr Spo. It would just be about books, music or misc mental meanderings which, to an outsider, would be really dull.
      Not having friends or the wherewithal to get about more the number of non-filmic subjects that I am able to write about are severely limited. However, in the spirit of what you say I'll give it some thought - and thank you for being interested enough to mention it.

      Delete
  3. Since I live in Redneck Wonderland I doubt I'll ever see any events like this here, but maybe someday I'll make it to San Francisco (where my daughter lives) where it's an event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stranger things have happened, S'A'. Visiting Frisco has been on my 'bucket list' for longer than I can remember, which would be only my second visit to the States. I did once advertise for someone to go with me (this was around 1980) but when we met up, although I was happy with him he got cold feet and felt we wouldn't get on with each other on a long holiday together. so that killed that off!
      The SF parades, as well as New York, even London - not to mention Rio and Sydney - are truly lavish when compared to Brighton's modest effort, but it all comes down to the honesty of feelings put into the event, and that was not at all lacking yesterday. It's a case of being to enjoy it because we can!
      But you've got the perfect reason to visit SF - and I earnestly hope you can bring it off before too long.

      Delete
  4. I second Dr. Spo's emotion, we would love to hear more about your daily doings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I give my reasons for being reluctant to do so above, Ron. I think that having not done it much so far has spared everyone a bit of weariness. But thanks to you too for your thoughts.

      Delete
  5. Ray,
    I liked your photos of the parade. Thanks for sharing.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm disappointed that they all look a bit distant, Ron. Most people there were taking photos with their phones, very few with cameras, and it really needs a good quality one of the latter to have done it justice.
      The parade itself was as nothing compared to some of those you'll have seen, but it was a good effort. I also liked the fact that it was largely non-political for both participants and observers whereas the impression I get from some of the American ones is that they can be polarising events. Maybe I'm wrong.
      Thanks again for taking the trouble to look here.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting, looks like a great parade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Twas all good partying, F.B. And it makes it all the more rewarding when the crowds of observers are smiling and shaking to the music.

      Delete
  7. looks like everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That certainly looked to be the case, Sol, despite it being the one dull day in a sequence of sunny, warm ones. I only wished I could have participated myself.

      Delete
  8. So, you say your camera's not versatile. But you don't say if it's a top or a bottom. (I wonder how the photos compare.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, sounds like you're talking saucy pics - on which I could not possibly comment. (Well, maybe I could but I won't.)

    This parade is very modest indeed compared with the extravaganzas you show us. If only there was here a virgin available to be hoisted on shoulders, but that really would be a miracle.

    ReplyDelete