Thursday 5 March 2015

Film: 'The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.

So, cinema-visiting now resumed, in this year which has got off to a disappointing start in that, through circumstances, I've already had to miss a number of notable films. (Much appreciation again to those who left good wishes on my previous post).

I had no enthusiasm at all to see this sequel to a film which, to my amazement, was seen as long ago as four years. I could have sworn it was only as recent as 2013, maybe even just last year. Also surprising to see that I gave this original a rating of 6, when my memory of it is having enjoyed it markedly less than that.
This latest film seems to have been pushed through as an afterthought on the back of the first having unexpectedly done as well as it did - so let's have another shot at it and make even more money.

Most of the original cast are here reprising their former roles - Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Bill Nighy, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton, Ronald Pickup - and again with the chirpily watchable Dev Patel, here trying to keep his self-willed mum in check -  plus, this time, the seemingly incongruous figure of Richard Gere as an unexpected hotel guest of whose true identity Dev Patel has suspicions.
There's none of the cast whom I dislike and they are all given a reasonable share to do, though nothing that carries great weight. Being a collection of disparities, there is a far weaker dramatic thrust than in the earlier film, the principal focus this time being on Patel's upcoming wedding as well as his proprietorship of the hotel that was the central feature of the original film, now with the addition of an adjacent dilapidated hotel being renovated. There's much romantic twisting and turning too among the older members of the cast, Gere included, leading to employment of excessive sentiment which I found embarrassing, as well as being unlikely.
The script is up to the mark most of the time, Patel's stilted and entertaining use of English being one of the joys. Scenes of Indian city life as well as some panoramic views from the train are very impressive.

John Madden ('Shakespeare in Love', 'Mrs Brown', 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin') gets through it all with the efficiency one would expect.

An okay film (just), made on the flimsiest of pretexts. The cast obviously enjoyed themselves making it, which can be a fatal flaw, though here it squeezingly passes muster. Only please, let's now call it a day and don't go and make yet another one..................4.5/10.

22 comments:

  1. Oh dear..... Ive read excellent reviews on thsi one so I was saddened to see just a 4.5
    I wanted to see it today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wanted to see it today of all days, J.G.? Well, at least it isn't going to be tomorrow - or maybe it now will be! But if you at any time want to watch something light and undemanding, here it is, perfection on a stick!

      Delete
  2. morning, dear! so happy to see you are over your illness! :)

    this film opens here tomorrow and we are looking forward to seeing it this weekend. if we don't get snowed in, that is; we have a snow day from work today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite over it yet, A.M. There's still an occasional bout of hacking coughs and a runny nose. I was afraid yesterday that I'd have to leave the cinema because of the first, but largely managed to put up with the tickly throat.

      Maybe if you see the sunny Indian climes it'll take your mind of what you've been experiencing, so you could well enjoy it more than I did. Let not my own verdict put you off. Do go see.

      Delete
    2. so we went to see the film today (a sunny day). we LOVED it! and I still wanna have a go with richard gere!

      Delete
    3. I've just seen how you and RTG did indeed love it, A.M., and there's nothing wrong with that! I don't find Mr Gere exactly unattractive, but on this occasion I'll leave him to your attentions which, I suspect, he'd appreciate more in any case.

      Delete
  3. oh that is a low score. Hope you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is going to be yet another where my view is a minority, Sol. But for me it did so clearly betray how the same team was milking the idea more than it could bear, all for an extra windfall which they'll certainly achieve.

      Thanks for your thoughts - Better = than was, rather than recovered.

      Delete
  4. Well, well, hello, Ray. it's so nice to see you back where you belong. I'm assuming you are feeling much better and life is now back to normal.

    I wasn't that impressed with the first "Best Exotic" but when it came to HBO, I watched it again and again a second time and really liked it. It is now stored in my DVR for yet another viewing.

    What makes it so much fun are those little moments that set off sparks and those little moments add up. I saw the trailer for this one and the scene where Dame Maggie gets out of the car and utters a line (as only Maggie can do) about a cup of tea and a biscuit waiting, really set me off.

    Maybe there will be a third, and in addition to Dame Judi and Dame Maggie, Dame Helen will be added. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still getting there, Paul - and certainly on the way up.

      This film is far slighter than the first - and I'm a bit surprised you liked the original so much on re-seeing. However, I only saw it the once though wouldn't care to sit through it again.

      You'd seriously watch a THIRD instalment? Shush! Mind you, I shouldn't be at all surprised to read that they're trying to push yet another one through quickly before one of this aged gang falls off his/her perch.

      Delete
  5. I liked the first one very much [Carlos is a huuuge Dench fan] but I can't see a sequel to it.
    Still, I might be inclined, just to watch "the chirpily watchable Dev Patel."
    I love that description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The unexpectedness of the first's worldwide success is what is driving this franchise, Bob, and it shows. Can't blame them for wanting to rake in all the money they can but its slightly lazy roots are already perceptible.
      Dev Patel - and his attitude to his hotel-assisting mum - is one of the endearing features of this, helping to make it more bearable than it was, and being responsible for my not giving it the even lower score to which I was first inclined.

      Delete
  6. Ray,
    I saw the previews to this movie and this is one I will definitely see. Anything with Dame Maggie Smith I watch She can do no wrong.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like her too, Ron, but not to the extent that she makes any film a 'must' as it apparently does for some. But her presence definitely gives this a point or two.

      Delete
  7. I didn't particularly like the first one Ray... I think I'll pass especially after your review. One was enough I think!
    PS - UK's eurovision entry revealed tonight I hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's understandable enough, Craig. Even if one thought the first was okay (as I seemed to have done but had forgotten) that first one would have sufficed. I didn't want to suffer a sequel.

      Ah, Eurovision! This year with the Aussies participating it's given an extra charge to the frisson of excitement that I always feel.
      Hoping there's going to be a real camp act this year (there'll surely be at least two - prob'y more!) to annoy those po-faced Russians and get them threatening to pull out - again.
      I've long since given up on the UK winning once more, but it would be nice. Let's see who and what they come up with for this year.

      Delete
  8. I loved the first one; I don't desire to see the second. I enjoy your movie reviews for many reasons but one of them is I get to hear about the ones I need not see !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one must have REALLY liked the original to get anything out of this one, Dr Spo. I doubt if many would rate it as being better.

      Delete
  9. I never saw the first one. That title, you start a squeal calling it second best? Well maybe that's truth in advertising. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the title, partly ironic in 'Indian-English', is for those (many) who liked the first film and are likely to feel favourably towards another in the same mould. But you are right, at least as for some of us, in that the 'joke' does contain an uncomfortable truth,

      Delete
  10. Just finally saw the "First... etc." on a plane over the Atlantic, so I'm curious to see the second. But I think I'll wait for it to be on our cable service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get too excited waiting for it, Mitch. In fact by the time this one appears on TV you may well have forgotten to watch it anyway. I'm not trying to make out that it was actually a poor film, because it isn't. It's just......insubstantial. Enough to fill in time when you're in a lazy mood.

      Delete