Thursday 6 July 2017

Film: 'Spider-man: Homecoming' (in 2D)

Bold claims are being made that this is a fresh take on the Spiderman saga. On the contrary, I found it tired and jaded, and with a pervading sense of deja vu, using thin material which is stretched beyond what it can reasonably take. 

This, the sixth in the current franchise, now boasts its third actor to play the webbed hero and 'force for justice' in an adequate Tom Holland to follow Tobey Maguire (3 films) and Andrew Garfield (2). The only new and most interesting aspect of this film is Spiderman's nemesis, 'Vulture' - here played by Michael Keaton - surely more than a mere nod to his 2014 Oscar-nominated turn in 'Birdman'. Also in this, but with more limited screen time, is Robert Downey Jr in his 'Iron Man' guise.
But the fights are all just as we have seen before. I don't know what else they can do to make them original. Dull, dull, dull!  

Director Jon Watts is a name I didn't know, and this is only his third feature film. I can only hope his next involvement has a higher interest level. 

I really feel they've come to the end of the line here though I dare say there'll be yet more films to follow this. It'll have to make a truly unique claim to make me want to see it. Failing that I can only assume it will be yet more of the noise and routine spectacle that we've become so over-familiar with....................3.5.


5 comments:

  1. Tom holland was a revelation in The Impossible , sad to see him in a film i wont bother going to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Spiderman fans - and perhaps some comic-book fans - only, J.G. If there was 'good' entertainment in this it passed me by.

      Delete
  2. I might watch some of these Marvel-esque type films on TV, but I just cannot bring myself to plunk down any cash to see them in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only went because it's had some more-than-good reviews here - and even the current IMDb viewer average is a very positive 8.4. Just why that is so I can't fathom. I almost decided to pay 2.5 times the normal price to see it in 3D. If I had I can't think that it would have substantially altered my opinion.

      Delete