Wednesday 30 August 2017

Film: 'Logan Lucky'

I'd been looking forward to this. Shame then that reality didn't meet hope. It came down to one thing - I couldn't work out what the blazes was going on!

The premise is simple enough - a heist involving cash theft from an auto stock-car racing event in Charlotte, North Carolina. But exactly who the characters were and their relationships to each other, as well as the motivations for the crime (apart from just wanting a lot of money) were lost on me - and throughout the film I found my viewing with no solid foundation to it. However, the actual execution of the theft, which only takes place a full hour into the two-hour film, was interesting enough with some mildly amusing moments.

Channing Tatum has just become unemployed and with his one-armed, bartender brother (Adam Driver) they work out a robbery plan which involves roping in the assistance of two other rednecks (exactly who were they supposed to be?) and, more bizarrely, jailbird Daniel Craig (showing, once again, his versatility, here a million miles from 007) whom they need for some unclear reason, and whom they have to smuggle out of prison, do the crime, and then smuggle back into jail without any of the prison guards having noticed his absence. It takes some swallowing! (Mind you, it is a comedy - kind of.)
Hilary Swank makes an appearance half an hour from the end in a couple of involvements which are little more than cameo appearances.

Director Steven Soderbergh (four years after announcing he was hanging up his boots as far as feature films were concerned) does his stuff here but, to my mind, far less coherently than we've come to expect from a director of such renown.
It may be that if you manage to follow it all (where I clearly failed), it would make sense - but even the ending seemed intended to wind it all up cut and dried, and including a revelation or two - though it merely intensified my confusion. 
During the film I tried to suspend any analysis of what was going on and just try to enjoy the ride - but I couldn't as there wasn't a solid enough base to support entertainment value for me. 

If you are able to fathom out what's happening you will surely rate it higher than I do. As it is, I'm regrettably unable to offer a stronger endorsement than............5.5

12 comments:

  1. Deborah Ross in the Spectator said almost the same thing Ray. I decided not to see it after reading her review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that, Rachel, and it surprises me (it's had some mighty favorable reviews) as well as being a relief. I'd been thinking "Is it just me, or what?"

      Delete
  2. I cant believe you bothered to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you'd heard dreadful things about it, J.G. I hadn't, so I went.

      Delete
  3. I'd heard good things .... and, well, Channing Tatum and Daniel Craig??? I may still see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has the curiosity value of Craig playing a role you'd never expect to see him doing - and doing it ever so well too, Bob. For that feature alone it isn't an entire waste of time.

      Delete
    2. I am that shallow that I'll pay 13 bucks just to see Daniel Craig.

      Delete
    3. And I can guarantee that you'll like him even more after this - southern DRAWWWWWWWL and all!

      Delete
  4. I have always thought that Daniel Craig was under-rated as an actor in general. Perhaps that is why he was keen there for a bit to leave the Bond series? And watching those movies is my simple pleasure. Sometimes just a bit of fluff, and Daniel Craig, is all you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He carries this film, Elle - and he really is a pleasure to watch, playing a character for whom 'debonair' would be a dirty word.

      My first awareness of D.C. was in 'Love is the Devil' (1998) playing the lover of artist Francis Bacon (Derek Jacobi), and from then on he's shown he's quite up to taking on challenging roles in addition to Bond. I can quite understand that having more than made his mark as the latter he's wanting to move on. There's no doubt in my mind that he's a good actor.

      Delete
  5. I made a spur-of-the moment decision to see this, simply because I was there and also to get out of my comfort zone as I normally don't see movies like this. My take - Pointless! What saved it just a little tiny bit was the voice of John Denver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was also going to mention the Denver vocals. I could have done with hearing a lot more of them as it would certainly have lifted the film, even if just by a smidgeon.
      So, it sounds like after this experience you're going to stick to the safe repertory of 'your' kind of film. Can't really blame you.

      Delete