Thursday 18 January 2018

Film: 'The Florida Project'

Following yesterday's let-down, this was decidedly better.
It's been around a few weeks and I caught it on its very final screening in this area. Not being seduced by some good reviews, I'd avoided it on knowing that it featured young kids, and there's little that riles me more on film than to see little brats spouting bons mots and advice on how to live life in a manner way beyond their years to adults who are amazed at the kids' precocity. There being nothing else on which I hadn't already seen and wasn't a kiddie-aimed film, I decided to give it a go - with gritted teeth. As it turned out, my apprehensions were groundless.

In the hinterland around Disney World, Willem Dafoe (in a role which fits him like a glove) is the manager/odd-job man for a group of cheap residential apartment blocks, out beyond the expensive hotels and motels or even mid-priced ones. The residents consist mainly of families in difficult circumstances, with kids running amok and engaged in anti-social behaviour, tenants sometimes in rent arrears, some with alcohol or drug-related problems . 
One of the residents is single mother Halley (Bria Vinaite, excellent) with 6-year old daughter, Moonie (Brooklyn Prince, also very good), the little girl having been infected with the 'so what!' attitude of her mother as well as her cheekiness, and roams around (no school attendance) with her similar-aged friends (mainly one boy and another girl) causing annoyance in all directions with their antics.  But mother doesn't give a fig what they get up to, as long as there's no danger of their being evicted. She's continually behind on her rent but manages to pay on time - just. It's not hard to guess where her income comes from, but we aren't shown anything of her 'trade' nor any of her 'customers'.
She and her daughter run riot in stores and eateries, all of which she just about gets away with, thanks to bare-faced lies which come as easily to her as breathing, much to the exasperation of staff and managers. It's Dafoe who's most sorely tried and he keeps issuing ultimata about the behaviour of the two of them, though he also exhibits a soft spot for their plight, particularly warmly towards the little girl. Then the authorities get involved.........

It's an unassuming little story, totally credible as well as being captivating in its way. Dafoe is marvellous. Even being aware of his considerable acting experience it was easy to see him as the put-upon apartments manager.

Director (and co-writer) Sen Baker demonstrates a sensitivity to the difficult subject and I'd be hard-pressed to point out where it could have been improved.  

I liked it..................7.



6 comments:

  1. I earmarked this film after seeing the trailer a few times, it began to grow on me. However I never did get to see it. I am even more disappointed now you have seen it and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd liked yesterday's film more I doubt if I'd have bothered with going to see this, but I needed some 'good' cinema to follow 'Molly'. Mine was only a '2 mins to midnight' capture but I'm so pleased I did it. Very sorry indeed that you weren't so lucky.

      Delete
    2. BTW Ray, my blog address has changed, if you hadn't spotted it already, please note!

      Delete
  2. I hadn't even heard of this until I saw Dafoe nominated for a Golden Glob. I'll have to search it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't aware of his G.G. nomination, Bob. Its a fine, understated and modest performance, no histrionics - and stands out for being so.

      Delete